Thursday, August 4, 2011

Morning Buns

Starbucks has this thing they call a Morning Bun. It's one of my favorite breakfast components. I first discovered it in Indianapolis at GenCon a few years ago.  It's like a non-glazed cinnamon roll made with croissant dough.  It's on the sweet end of the spectrum without being cloyingly sweet like a lot of cinnamon rolls are. The lack of frosting certainly helps with that.

They're light, they're flaky, and they have enough actual food content to keep me going for several hours - it's not just a sugar rush.

"What is that?"

I explained that it's somewhere between a cinnamon roll and a croissant.  "You've had cinnamon rolls, haven't you?"

"Yes, but they're different."  There are, of course, dozens and dozens and dozens of varieties of cinnamon roll, depending on where in the world you are.

"Would you like to try a piece of mine?"

"Er ... I don't know.  It looks kind of weird."  So I pulled a piece off for her.  She sniffed at it, gave it kind of an odd look, and then tasted. Her face immediatley contorted.  She didn't spit it out, but she evidently didn't like it that much.

All of this reminds me: I need to add American-style Cinnamon Rolls to the list. Maybe I'll hit a Cinnabon.

Verdict: Fail. Not an EPIC fail, but a fail nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment