Thursday, August 18, 2011

Twinkies and Ding Dongs

7-Eleven, at times, is too close. See, I could stand to lose some weight. And it's difficult with so much temptation so close to the office.

As you may have noticed, I have a bit of a sweet tooth.  Half-way out the door one morning, I stuck my head back in and asked, "Dasha, have you ever had a Twinkie?"

"What's that?"

"What about a Ding Dong?"

"I don't know what you are talking about!"

Twinkies, for those two or three of you who don't know, are sponge cake stuffed with frosting.  They're very sweet, and have a reputation for being more chemical than food. People used to regularly joke that the shelf life of a Twinkie was long enough that the cockroaches who succeeded mankind as rulers of the planet would have plenty of them to dine upon.  They are invariably soft and moist and dangerously tasty.

Ding Dongs are chocolate-covered chocolate cupcakes which are filled with the same filling as Twinkies.

Neither one is particularly healthy.

That cinched it for me: This week, Dasha would try both of them.  Since they're sold in convenient 2-packs, that meant one of each for me as well.

When I returned with the bounty, I suggested that she try the Twinkie first - if you're going to dislike one of them, it's usually the Twinkie.  The Ding Dong is chocolate, and only a few weirdos (including my brother) dislike chocolate.

The Twinkie met with a lukewarm response.  "What is this?"  When she tasted it, "This would be better if it had fruit inside or something. It's too sweet. Maybe if it had some chocolate?"

For a short time, I vaguely remember that Hostess made fruit-filled Twinkies.  They were good. Or, more accurately, better than the plain Twinkies.

She gave me the second Twinkie that was in the pack.

The Ding Dongs went over much better: "That's more like it." and "Mmm.  This one's actually good." The Ding Dong disappeared pretty quickly - I didn't know she could move that fast!

After this reaction, I didn't expect to have the second one for myself, but she said to me, "Are you trying to make me fat?" And then forced it on me. So I had to eat it.

I had no choice.

So the final verdicts:

Twinkie: FAIL
Ding Dong: WIN. So very much win. I think it's the biggest win thus far ...

No comments:

Post a Comment