Thursday, August 11, 2011

Orange Julius

A mainstay in American shopping malls is Orange Julius. Their signature drink includes both orange juice and ice cream and a number of other ingredients - if you poke around online, you can find dozens of recipes for it, all with varying degrees of accuracy.

We learned that she hadn't tried these one day when J was heading to the mall and asked if we wanted anything. I was my usual decisive self.

"Pretzels! Or Teriyaki Chicken! Or a Sandwich! Or ... No ... no ... Orange Julius! I want an Orange Julius!" Yes, those exclamation points are warranted. I was a bit wired and unusually excitable that day.

"What's an Orange Julius?"

Many of these New Things are triggered for us when Dasha asks us, "What is a ... ?" And we know we have a good one when J and I both lock up for a second in surprise.

This particular lockup also settled what I would be getting from the mall that afternoon.

"J," I said, "I think I'd like an Orange Julius today.  Given the warm weather, it sounds like just the thing!"

Half an hour later, there was a Julius on my desk, and one on Dasha's desk.

Dasha eyed it warily when was placed in front of her, and she took a cautious sip. Her expression then turned to that of someone who was expecting honey and had oatmeal instead.

"That's a really weird taste.  It's not bad, I just have to get used to it."

After another sip,  "I think I could get used to this."

A short time later, "This reminds me of something."

We discussed it for a bit - it apparently reminds her a bit of an orange Creamsicle, which I totally understand. They have very similar flavors.

Her final statement? "I wouldn't buy this on my own, but I would eat it again."

Make me think I should order a Strawberry or Straberry-Banana Julius for her ...

The Verdict: I'll call that a Marginal Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment