Thursday, October 27, 2011

New Russian Thing: Kvass

Following along with my sampling of a variety of Russian candies, Dasha brought in something else for us to try: Kvass.

Kvass is one of the most popular beverages on the planet. It's extremely popular in Eastern Europe, throughout the former Soviet Union, and even into parts of Northern China. Like most beverages that are so widespread, there are thousands of varieties, so when I say, "Kvass is ... " what I mean is "most kvass is ... "

Keep that in mind.

It's often compared to beer. In fact, the best kvass is apparently produced by breweries, and it's often slightly alcoholic (hovering around a three or four proof, which is 1.5-2% alcohol by volume). Kvass is actually made with bread.

Yes, really.

When making kvass, you first dehydrate some stale bread (Rye seems to be the most popular variety). Then you drop it into boiling water.  Then you strain it and let it cool before adding yeast, sugar, and a bit more water. And other ingredients - mint, juice, raisins, and berries seem to be popular additions.

Then it is strained and cooled and strained and cooled. And then it sits for a few days. And then it's filtered and refrigerated and then drunk.

I was afraid I wouldn't like it - and I didn't want to waste it because it's expensive. So I poured a small amount into a glass the size of a shot glass.  It was amber in color, and smelled ... like fresh bread. It was actually a bit disconcerting to smell, because I can't think of anything else that smells like bread and looks like tea.

I took a careful sip - Dasha has a sense of humor, so I wasn't sure if she was pranking me or not. My first thought was, "It tastes like bread!"

In fact, it's rather disconcertingly like drinking bread. Don't get me wrong - it's tasty - but the bread flavor just feels weird coming from a beverage. It tasted like fresh-baked bread.

I'll drink it again if it's offered, but I don't think it's something I'll purchase for myself. I guess that makes the verdict a tentative win on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment